With the dark days (and nights) of winter upon us, it’s hard to stay upbeat and not want to curl up in a ball and hibernate until Spring. Fortunately, I have some tips to help get you out of that winter funk, embrace our cold and dark climate, and stay warm at the same time.
– You’d be surprised by the impact colour can have on your mood. Add colour into your space with your pillows and accessories – my Jo Alcorn dog beds and pillows have great colours to choose from
. A great trick I use is to fill a mirrored tray with white or bright accessories – this is an easy way to create a nice centerpiece that can be changed with the seasons.
winter DIY is to spice up your bland and outdated accessories; sometimes all is takes is a can of spray paint and some bright colours to really add punch to a space. I have used Krylon to spray bathroom drawer pulls, vases and even kids accessories that need new life, and new colour!
– Honestly, there is nothing I love doing more than curling up in front of a fire with a glass of wine and a good book on a cold winter’s night. Create a corner in your home that you can use as your chill-zone (without the chill that is!). If you’ve been thinking of installing a fireplace in your space and have access to natural gas, I love the look and feel the KozyHeat Birchwood unit (the price point is also one of the best on the market)
you are in a condo, or don't have access to natural gas, there are great electric options out there (I even have one in my own home). Dimplex has a huge assortment of units that have such realistic flames people often mistake it for a gas unit. These units are great for condos, small spaces and also make a great addition to a feature wall. This year they have launched a new Prism Series that is perfect for small spaces
– I love the look and feel of natural fibers inside the home. My go to for anything nature inspired is Artemano. They are a Canadian company that makes great one-of a kind pieces that are nature inspired. Grab a couple of comfy chairs or stools made from tree trunks, light some candles, and settle in with a good book.
– If your house is drafty, that should be the first order of business in the winter. Fix the gaps or even consider new windows and doors. Did you know that in the winter months some window companies will offer you a discount since it’s not their busy season? Total Home Window and Doors is a great Canadian company that can turn windows and doors around for your home sometimes in as little as two weeks.
If you really can’t snap out of your winter funk, a few additional things I do is to ensure I get outside each day with my dogs for a brisk walk (even that little bit of sunshine and fresh air helps). I also love anything natural that helps boost my energy and mood so I always have my kettle handy (I love Kitchen Aid’s blue stovetop kettle)
a selection of herbal teas or Neurapas Balance, which is a combo of St. John’s wort, valerian root and passionflower, to perk me up.
Finally, I love fresh flowers and think everyone should have them in their home year-round.
Get Floored this Winter
– A cozy rug is a great way to create a warm and inviting space (and keeps your feet toasty in cooler months). Flor carpet tiles are a great way to add colour to your space and, since they are tiles, it’s easy to mix and match so in different seasons you can change up the pattern.
Use a few, or all, of these tips and suggestions to brighten your mood this winter. Wishing you warm and cozy days!
Until next time,
w&c design girl!